My apps

WiFi Manager 4.2.6-213 from April 22, 2018

An app for managing connections to Wi-Fi networks for Android 4.1+

Some features are available only in the premium package, which can be purchased right from the app, using Google Wallet. More info on this is listed under “Premium Features“.

device-widgets-sample device-widgets-switching

In these screenshots, “Despotica” is the name of my home Wi-Fi network. The signal level is displayed in color, which is easier to see at a glance than Android’s built-in Wi-Fi signal level indicator.

Signal strengh can be displayed as: image, dBm, percent.

The widget is available in four sizes (1..4 by 1 cell) and several themes (“HTC Sense” like, two Holo themes like Android 4.0, two premium Material themes like Android 5.0).

The widget with a “light bulb” icon is used for switching among your favorite networks with a single tap.

Clicking the “main” widget anywhere but on the switch brings up the Wi-Fi manager part.

The main screen has two modes: list mode and radar mode.

In list mode, the app displays a list of Wi-Fi networks: either results of a live scan, or networks “known” to Android (previously connected to).

device-list-light.png device-list-dark.png

Networks can be sorted by name, signal strength, or open first (and then by signal strength).

Clicking a network item allows you to perform various actions, such as connecting (or disconnecting, optionally removing it from the “known” network list).

Long-pressing on a list item brings up advanced options for that network. You can change the password of a known network, assign a description or an icon to a network, exclude it from the list (neighbors have routers, too), or set it up for fixed or dynamic (DHCP) IP address. Some of these features require an in-app purchase.

There is an auto-update function with configurable interval ranging from 3 to 60 seconds. You can configure a sound notification for when new open networks are discovered.

Radar mode looks like this:

device-radar device-radar-help

Live networks are organized by their channel numbers, with their “shadow” sizes varying with signal strength. Open networks are shown hatched. This view can be very useful in selecting the best channel for your home router if you live in a densely populated area. Besides, I think it looks kind of cool 🙂

Changelog:

4.2.3-206 from April 22, 2018

• Bug fixes.

4.2.3-204 from February 25, 2018

• Tether widget disabled on Android 8.0+ (thanks Google for a “security improvement”).

4.2.0-199 from December 31, 2017

• New setting: “easy mode” combines networks based on SSID (how it used to work before 4.1).

4.1.9-192 from December 10, 2017

• Display network hardware vendor names. Can be turned off in settings.

4.1.7-187 from November 26, 2017

• Backup and restore of per-network descriptions and icons to / from a file. In the menu. Had to add the “storage” permission.
  • Channel width info (Android 6.0+).

4.1.5-178 from August 23, 2017

• Bug fixes: in particular, “access point / tethering” widget.
  • Added EAP/802.11x auth methods: SIM, PWD, AKA.
  • Turned off full-screen ads (in the free version).

4.1.0 from July 23, 2017

• Added support for Android’s “backup and restore” feature for per-network descriptions and icons.
  • New: a widget to toggle “best network switcher”.
  • New: a setting to make any “just now gone out of range” networks “linger” on the list for a bit.
  • New: the notification (if enabled) will use the connected network’s icon (if assigned).
  • New: “best network switcher” can be restricted by current network’s name (a list of regular expressions).
  • New: “temporary connection”, a network will be forgotten on next WiFi off / on cycle.
  • Finally (!) supports distinct networks with same name (SSID).
  • Description and/or icon can be set for a specific network (per BSSID).
  • Improved compatibility with Android 6 and newer.
  • Refreshed the design a bit.
  • Connect speed info in the notification.
  • Now requires Android 4.1 or newer.
  • The free version has ads.

3.6.0.5 from December 27, 2015

• Fix in “one tap network switcher” widget: when the network was already connected, the info window could go away too quickly.

3.6.0.3 from December 13, 2015

• Android 6 specific code now merged into same app version.
  • Accessibility in widgets.

3.6.0 from November 22, 2015

• Updated for Android 6.
  • Fixes and improvements in “best network switcher” for 5Ghz.
  • Enabled searching for “best network” even if the current network connection is good (in case there is a better one).
  • Added settings -> auto-scan on start.
  • So far only released to 6.0 devices (just to be safe), the rest should follow soon.

Bluetooth Widget 2.0 from March 29, 2015

A simple widget for controlling Bluetooth state and settings.

Comes in two sizes: 1×1 can act as a simple toggle switch, and optionally provide access to system Bluetooth Settings, whereas 2×1 has a separate button on the left to for the Settings screen.

Several widget themes: “material design” (like Android 5.0), “holo” (like Android 4.0), and “HTC Sense” style.

Changelog:

2.0 from March 29, 2015

• Two new widget styles, “Material Design”

1.9.2 from September 08, 2013

• High-res graphics for full-hd phones.

1.9.1 from August 10, 2012

• Minor adjustments to 1*1 “two in one” widget layout.

1.9 from June 5, 2012

• Added one more widget theme, like the old one, but with blue icons.

1.8.1 from May 2, 2012

• Added two new widget themes, inspired by Android 4.0.

The “gears” icon was created by Gorge Bergman, and is used under permission.

The lightbulb icon comes from OpenIconic icon set.

1. Francesco Menin
    February 8, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Have you ever thought of managing Dhcp/ip addresses as well?

February 8, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Yes I have. It’s also been requested by a few users. However, so far I don’t have time to work on this.

2. February 7, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I don’t understand what the Auto button does, because the list seems to update anyway… can someone explain?

February 7, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Steve,

Android may decide to do a WiFi scan from time to time, and if that happens, my application updates its list.

However, there is nothing that says that this has to happen – this is entirely at the firmware’s discretion.

That’s what the auto button is for – in case you want to be certain to get regular WiFi scans and updates.

3. OzBoy08
    January 14, 2011 at 2:14 am

Thank you for a fantastic app in WiFi Manager. You wouldn’t believe how many other inadequate apps I tried before stumbling onto yours via AppBrain. Is it possible to add a functionality whereby if the widget is clicked/tapped, your Wi-Fi Manager application comes up. This would be nice but the app is fantastic as it is. Thank you for sharing.

• OzBoy08
      January 14, 2011 at 2:33 am

Please accept my compliments and forget my question. I just found out that the widget does indeed do what I ask previously. Apologies for that and thank you for the app.

January 14, 2011 at 2:43 am

Yes, it does that. Thank you for the compliments, glad you like it.

4. bZtard
    December 26, 2010 at 4:19 pm

It would be good if the user is allowed within the program to prevent interruption of the network when the device is locked. Another problem is that the program runs each time you manually turn on the network, and there is no option to disable it. The third issue that I noticed is that if you have memorized a few wifi network, when moving from one network to another program will not automatically connect to another network memorized. I hope the author will incorporate these options in the next version of the application. Thank you!

December 26, 2010 at 5:51 pm

My app doesn’t try to interfere with Android’s management of WiFi. This is deliberate (two cooks in one kitchen).

The app doesn’t do anything in the background. Don’t worry the process starting up – that’s how Android works.

This is not a problem at all, regardless of what the authors of task killer type programs tell you.

This depends on the firmware, Android version, and the device. As I said above, the program doesn’t try to interfere with Android.

5. Richard
    November 19, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Hi Kostya, great app, but I would really appreciate the auto-disable, auto-enable wifi options which other people have mentioned. At home, I switch on the phone in the morning and it connects to my WPA2 wireless network. I get to the office, where we have a LEAP wireless network, and it will not connect automatically. I have to use the app toggle to disable wifi, then re-enable wifi, and then explicitly connect to the office network. It is then fine all day, until I get home. Again, it will not connect automatically – I have to toggle wifi off and on again, and explicitly connect to my home network. I know it isn’t a great inconvenience, but it would be brilliant if your app would do this all automatically. In my case, I would like to list 2 or more favourite networks, and if the app detected that the current favourite network was no longer available but another favourite had been detected, then it would toggle the wifi and auto-connect to the new one. I hope you will consider my request, as it really would make this the best wifi app available (and of course I would be happy to make a donation!). Thanks!

November 21, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Richard,

Thank you for great feedback.

At this point, WiFi Manager mostly watches what Android does, and displays that in the widget / main window.

I am really reluctant to start implementing code to actually manage connectivity. Android also manages connectivity (disconnecting WiFi when the device is asleep, performing periodic scans, etc.)

I’d rather not have two cooks in one kitchen, especially since one is going to be handicapped (my application), but they might still chop off each other’s hands accidentally.

Also, some phones do reconnect to the available network in this situation, while some don’t. This is another example of discrepancies that exists, and vary with device and firmware.

Note that you don’t have to toggle WiFi off and on, just click on the widget to bring up the management screen, and select the network to connect to.

6. Lau
    November 4, 2010 at 11:20 am

Hey, I like your app so far, it looks solid.

Have you considered building in an option to auto-disable wifi when you’re not in range of any known networks (and auto-enable ofcourse when you are) ? With this option it would be a perfect app, in my opinion 😉

November 4, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Yes, I considered it, but haven’t done it yet.

I know there are applications that do this, not sure what I could add here.

• bZtard
        December 26, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Well, it’s always better to have one app then more of them! It would also be a great addition. (:

7. tUDy
    October 11, 2010 at 5:06 pm

hello,

could you make transparent wifi widget with some options for text color?

thx

8. mk
    October 10, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Hey.
    Good app. I like it. Thanks. However maybe abigger button on the widget to disable wifi. It can be a bit trickey to press sometimes. New update was good.
    Thanks.
    Mk

October 10, 2010 at 11:03 pm

Great, thanks for the feedback.

I’ll keep your request in mind for the next release.

9. heyoung,shin
    October 9, 2010 at 4:04 pm

I’ve some question. What us the mean the word’ chan’.

October 9, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Those are Wifi channels.

There is a set number of radio frequencies at which Wifi networks operate. Each of those preset frequencies is assigned a number, and that’s the channel number.

10. Gm
    October 2, 2010 at 6:41 am

Thx for your excellent Job.

We use this nice app with gratitude in S. Korea.

11. CRIZ
    September 6, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Esta Bueno

12. Brian Chuk
    August 8, 2010 at 4:34 pm

If scan can be disable in setting of WiFi manager then it is good ultility for android

August 8, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Not sure I understand – disabling scanning would make Wifi Manager completely useless.

13. John C
    July 28, 2010 at 6:25 am

Thanks Kostya, it is an excellenct application. It is simple and user friendly and shows all neccessary information for people like me always connecting office network. The widget is well designed. I have a suggestion. Now when I click on/off button it does not connect to any network and I have to enter in the management page to choose one to connect. It makes the on/off button useless. So maybe adding a default network among known networks is a good choice. For example, when I am in office, I can select network A as default. When I am in my favourite restaurant, the default is network B.

July 28, 2010 at 10:52 am

John,

All of my Android phones automatically connect to a Wifi Network after Wifi is enabled (if one is available).

If yours doesn’t, it would seem like it’s an issue with the phone’s firmware, or maybe there are programs that interfere with Android’s Wifi networking (such as task killers, etc.)

14. July 28, 2010 at 1:09 am

I like your WiFi manager. Then I read that your Bluetooth manager is just like it, but it doesn’t look like it is. I am looking for a way to see bluetooth signals, along with their strength….with a 3 to 5 second update. This would help me locate devices by their bluetooth signal. I have a Motorola Backflip with the Android 1.5 OS.

July 28, 2010 at 10:50 am

Dan,

Bluetooth Widget has the same visual style as Wifi Manager’s widget, but, as you found out, it’s just a simple on/off widget.

I’m not aware of any sofware to scan for Bluetooth devices and show their signal levels.

15. sami
    July 24, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Hi

On the radar screen there is no circles, like those seen on the screenshots on this page.
    But on the list screen there are four networks listed. Why do you think this is?

July 24, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Off top of my head, I don’t know.

Can you email me a screenshot of the list screen?

16. Oliver
    July 23, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Hi – when I open Advanced Task Manager there is always Wifi Manager running although I did not open it!

July 23, 2010 at 7:45 pm

This is to perform widget updates, and is automatically started and shut down by Android as necessary.

Also – Android applications consist of multiple pieces packaged together.

The part that updates the widget has nothing to do with the Wifi network management screen, so the latter part is not even run.

17. fanke
    July 21, 2010 at 3:26 am

what is the meaning of the icon nearby the wifi name, that is “star”, “heart”, etc.

July 21, 2010 at 11:24 am

Star means the network is open – i.e. no encryption

Heart means it’s on the “known” network list – i.e. has been connected before

Green checkmark – the currently connected network

18. Felix
    July 16, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Hi,

Tanks for an excellenct program.

An idea, can be possible to connect to hiden BSSid? And how to recovery a forget BSSID?

Best wishes,

Felix

July 16, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Felix,

Yes, Wifi Manager can be used with hidden networks – either added through Android Wifi management screens, or added in Wifi Manager itself (use Menu -> Add Network). Note that you have to let Android know that a network is hidden (by selecting proper options in either place), or it won’t work at all.

However, support for hidden networks in Android appears to be buggy. Sometimes it’s only possible to connect to a network once, immediately after adding it, sometimes it seems to work a few times.

You can force a connection to a hidden network in Wifi Manager – click on network name, select “Connect”.

I recommend using a visible SSID with strong encryption (WPA2-PSK-CCMP) and a good password.

More info here:

July 16, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Note sure what you meant by

>> And how to recovery a forget BSSID? <<

19. Mike Jones
    June 28, 2010 at 6:40 pm

This app is terrific. However, I’d like to offer a couple suggestions.

It remembers that you have “favorited” an access point by its human name (the
    SSID). So if I use a access point called “linksys” then go to another town
    “linksys” in that town is still favorited even if I have never been there before. Better to use some numeric ID – like the BSSID?

Also, it would be nice if it would reconnect to my home (secured) access point when I get back home. It doesn’t seem to. I suppose it should reconnect to any favorited access point when you get back in range.

Thanks.

June 28, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Mike,

Re: Linksys some place else. If the password doesn’t match, there is no harm. If it does, well, you get free Wifi out of it.

The reason it’s done this way is that there are public Wifi networks that have multiple access points in various locations (cafes, etc.). Using SSID as the key allows one network entry to work at any location.

Regarding auto-reconnect to home network – at this time, Wifi Manager doesn’t try to change Android’s connection logic. On my Moto Milestone (2.1) and HTC Hero (1.5), after I come home it does find my home Wifi router, altough sometimes it takes a while.

If/when I make Wifi Manager actually manage Wifi connectivity (via a background service) this kind of functionality can be implemeneted, along with, for example, automatically switching to the best available network, even before the current connection drops due to weak signal (which is how Android does it).

• Mike Jones
        June 28, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I get what you are saying for both issues.

About the “linksys != linksys” issue… perhaps a nice improvement would be to be able to
        connect without favoriting. I think, currently, if you click on [Connect] the access point
        is automatically favorited. Splitting the [Connect] into [Connect and Fav] and [Connect without Fav] would be nice. So when you are in some place you’ll never return to you can avoid faving. Currently an access point I have connected to just once has the same heart icon as my home network which is much more important to me.

June 29, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Mike,

You can easily make any network “non-favorite” by clicking on it and selecting “Forget”. If it’s not live at that time, it will be removed from the program entirely.

In more detail: the way Android, or any other WiFi client (incl. notebooks) works is that a network has to be entered into a permanent list before it can be connected to. In my app, I call it the “known networks” list.

Scan results are transient, and are not saved anywhere. When connecting to a network, its password (and some other data) has to be stored permanently, and this is what the “known networks” list is there for. Thus, connecting to a network requires that it be first added to the known list.

20. Greg Lukowski
    June 27, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Can you DISABLE WIFI from the manager – If so, how.

June 27, 2010 at 9:22 pm

The main window is designed for controlling Wifi connnections – as such, it needs Wifi to be enabled (prompts the user if it’s disabled).

For quicky switching Wifi on and off use the widget – the right side has an on/off switch.

21. jim
    June 7, 2010 at 4:49 am

ahh, if I only I had a device…

June 7, 2010 at 10:56 am

Maybe some time in the future 🙂

22. Dennis Sullivan
    May 16, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Excellent app.
    When program is started and WiFi is disabled, program alerts to WiFi being disabled. If you answer Yes to enable, a Force Close occurs on the HTC Incredible. WiFi is enabled dispite the Force Close message.

Again, excellent widget, and program.

May 17, 2010 at 12:22 am

Dennis,

Using a Motorola Milestone today (also Android 2.1, high-res screen), I am not able to reproduce this problem.

Need to think of a way to debug this. Look for an update in Market within the next week.

June 25, 2010 at 11:16 pm

This was fixed awhile ago, I guess 1.3 or 1.5.

Comment pages