Home > releases, wifi > WiFi Manager 2.7.0

WiFi Manager 2.7.0

New version just released to Google Play.

– New feature: scan for and switch to best network (among already configured). Disabled by default, please see app settings.

– Fixed EAP (802.11x) networks on Android 4.3.

– Added a setting for “exit” button: disable WiFi or not.

– Fixed “open first” network sorting.

– An option to show detailed WiFi state in a status bar notification, off by default, see app settings.

– High res graphics for Full-HD phones (Samsung S4, HTC One, Sony Z, etc.)

More on the “best network” feature:

– Disabled by default, please enable in settings.

– Switches between already configured networks, will not connect you to some random open WiFi network on its own.

– Triggered by the firmware reporting the current network’s signal level changes, or by time. Do not expect this to be instant.

– By design, only works when the device is not sleeping. If your device does “stuff” in the background, there is a good chance the switching will work, when the device is woken by other apps.

– By design, does not interfere with the device’s automatic (firmware driven) initial connections, i.e. when there is no connection yet. Will switch a bit later if a better network is found.

– Settings:

current signal level at which, or below, to switch (defaults to -65 dBm, which is definitely not a very good connection, but still sort of usable);

min. interval for scans / reconnects, defaults to 5 minutes;

how good a new network’s signal level has to be, compared to the current one, for the switching to happen, defaults to +10 dBm.

Categories: releases, wifi
  1. nicholas
    October 26, 2013 at 6:54 am

S3 on verizon, android 4.1.2
    I noticed a widget installed by wifi manager for teathering.. when I turn it on, another device I have can see the signal from my phone, but I haven’t tried connecting yet. If I do teather nativly through my phone, verizon checks my subcription status first, of which I’m not subscribed.
    Understanding it can be a touchy subject… but can you expand on this a bit if possible?

• October 26, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Hi,

Afraid I can’t shed light on the exact aspect you’re asking about…

Android has system functions (in the firmware) for turning on tethering. They’re not meant to be used by third party apps, but there is a way to access them. This what my code does. Since I’m not in the US, I don’t know how Verizon implemented subscription checks: just in the UI, or in the system level tethering code.

2. Keith
    October 22, 2013 at 5:12 am

Hi Kostya. I bought the premium features of Wifi Manager and have a question about “Switch to best network” automatically. It works fine but I’m not sure what happens during a phone call. I would assume that it does not try to switch networks during a call but would like to get your verification of that. Spasibo.

• October 22, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Keith – the WiFi network switching code is not aware of voice calling at all. WiFi is a separate hardware radio in any case. Why do you ask?

• Keith
        October 22, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I should have mentioned that my concern was about making voice calls over WiFi. You obviously wouldn’t want WiFi calls to be cut off during a conversation by an app that automatically switches to a better WiFi connection. I just wanted to make sure of that. Spasibo.

• October 22, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Ah. My previous answer referred to conventional voice calls.

Good point actually — no, there is no check in place if the user is in the middle of a VoIP call. Would be a good idea to add this, if there is a way to do this without adding new permissions (which is a concern for upgrades).