Home > linux > Google Chrome slow on Linux?

Google Chrome slow on Linux?

I’m running Google Chrome on Debian Wheezy (testing) 64 bit.

For the last couple of months it often had issues rendering the home page after the initial launch, getting stuck for a few seconds, then snapping back.

The last few days, it also started running slow as molasses.

Solution? Simple:

Went into chrome://plugins/

Disabled “Remoting Viewer”

( don’t need this anyway, and didn’t enjoy finding out it was enabled by default )

Was I hacked? My Linux system is behind a home router with a firewall, so it seems unlikely. Probably just a Chrome plugin bug.

Categories: linux
  1. May 28, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Thank you!!!!! Worked perfectly !!!

2. Giovanni Tarantino
    July 3, 2012 at 12:38 am

Disabling “Remoting Viewer” improved the speed of my chromium very much (version18.0.1025.168 (Developer Build 134367) Ubuntu 12.04).
    Thank you very much.

3. June 1, 2012 at 12:02 pm

It looks like the issue with slow tab switching is fixed in today’s driver update, 295.53-1.

• cubuspl42
      June 5, 2012 at 11:43 pm

This temporary fixes work for me, but the 295.53-1 doesn’t seem to fix the problem.
      When i added “nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=0” to my “~/.profile” file, wallpaper was displayed badly.

• June 5, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Yes, I was wrong about 295.53, it just seemed that way at first. And using initialPixmapPlacement=0 makes my xfce terminal scrolling really, really slow, unusable.

4. mikulse
    May 28, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Awesome! So much better! I was getting really tired of it being so slow. Cheers mate! =)

5. May 15, 2012 at 4:30 pm

In my case it’s nvidia driver. Switching tabs in chrome suddenly has become very, very slow. It happened after upgrading libcairo 1.10.2-7 to 1.12.0-2, but the solution (other than playing with packages) is to execute:

nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=0

works immediately and can be added to startup script. Rumors are that nvidia is aware of the problem and upcoming release will have this fixed.

I’m writing this, because phrase “wheezy google chrome slow” made me hit that post, so it may help someone else.

Cheers 😉

• May 16, 2012 at 12:16 am

Great tip. I happen to be using NVIDIA, and using your setting made tab switching noticeably faster (although it was not too slow before).

The slowness I was experiencing before disabling Remoting Viewer was affecting everything, not just tab switching, and was, like, 20 times worse 🙂

Thanks. Much appreciated.

• May 16, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I turned off that viewer as well. I don’t want it, even if it doesn’t do any visible harm. That problem affected only the tabs, every change was taking more than 1 sec. Browser was still usable, but very inconvenient.

Anyway, keep in mind that default value of InitialPixmapPlacement (2) is supposed to be the fastest one, so be sure to play with settings again after drivers upgrade.

Oh, and you are welcome 🙂

• karol
      May 21, 2012 at 7:45 pm

same problem here, and your solution solves it, thanks 🙂

• Nilshar
      May 22, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Thank you, you saved my week !
      Worked perfectly.

• May 23, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Whou, man, thanks! I thought something wrong with me!
      Indeed, works like a charm!
      Thank you again!

• pivich
      May 24, 2012 at 9:36 am

Thanks a lot, noble sir !

btw don’t you know some magic word to stop licq crashing X server ? 🙂

• May 24, 2012 at 10:36 am

Um, no, sorry!

• May 24, 2012 at 10:44 am

Thank you (all of you) for your feedback – it’s great to know that my comment here actually did any good to anyone 😉

@pivich unfortunately not. Check errors in ~/.xsession-errors and xorg log. If you find anything – google it, this approach helps surprisingly often. If not, try licq mailing list. Good luck!