Home > android, releases, wifi > WiFi Manager 2.0.4

WiFi Manager 2.0.4

It seems that Google fixed the significant problems with activation that were happening all of July. And so, here it is, a new version, 2.0.4.

This version has a few bug fixes, as well as a new widget size, 4×1, which shows your device-to-router connection speed.

There are a quite few devices already that have 802.11n WiFi chips in them, and are capable of establishing WiFi connections at speeds higher than 54 Mbps. One of these is my HTC Incredible S, shown in the screenshot below. The Incredible S correctly reports the actual connection speed (checked at the router management page), which is then shown in the widget. Some other devices that are capable of high speeds with 802.11n always report 54 Mbps to the program (my Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc is one of these).

So, if you like this feature, and your phone is one of those that can connect at 802.11n speeds, but you always see 54 Mbps in the widget, please report it to the manufacturer / firmware author so it can be fixed.

One other change is that there is now a setting to select which widget sizes you’d like to see in the launcher. Android requires that multiple widget sizes are implemented as separate widgets, and the Launcher’s widget list can get too long and uncomfortable. With this in mind, you can now select which widgets sizes you’d like to see in the Launcher’s widget list.

Detailed changelog for version 2.0.4:

• Fixed dns2 after the program is reloaded.
  • Added a warning about IP address switching in Android 3.0.
  • Added a 4×1 widget with WiFi link speed (most devices report 54Mbps).
  • Added settings to select which widget sizes are shown in the launcher.
Categories: android, releases, wifi
  1. August 8, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I was looking for widgets I could add to my home screens for switching between two access points. With the in-app purchase of WiFi Manager 2.0.4 I picked up the one-tap WiFi Network Switch widget. Let me first day THANKS, it’s just what I needed. Here’s my question, on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 (android 3.1) it’s flawless to switch with ta single tab, but on my Droid X (2.3.5 via CyangenMod7) it switched but takes me to the main WiFi Manager Premium screen and stays there. The network switch occurs as needed but the widget is bring me off my home screen to toggle on where on the tab it’s working like I’d expect….it just toggles.

Did I miss a setting or is there something that can be done to have it always work like the tab? Thanks again – great app except for that one quirk I have!!

• August 8, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Wow. The one tap widget brings up the “switch progress” window, but at no point does it start the main window. This is on all devices, tablets and phones, regardless of the Android version.

Could you try removing and recreating the widget? If this does not help, please contact me at kmansoft [ at ] gmail [ dot com ]

2. chalk
    August 4, 2011 at 10:35 pm

I just downloaded your app but doesn’t see any in-app method of purchasing the premium edition. I’m running a custom ROM on an evo 3d, but even with adfree removed, there’s no option. Am I missing something? Also – it would be more convenient if the the premium edition was a separate download through the android market.

• August 4, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Hi,

The app offers to purchase premium features the first time you try to use one of them. The in-app purchase process requires Market 2.3 or later.

So, two ways: either try to add “WiFi Network Switcher” widget, or long press on a network within the list in the main window, and select e.g. “assign icon”.

• chalk
        August 4, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Worked great – purchased!

Nice app, especially the 1-click widget.

A cool feature would be a way to prioritize connections, allowing 0-click switching to the preferred network if its available (possibly also if its strength is above a minimum threshold).

3. Matthias
    August 2, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Hi Kostya,

nice application!

I have two networks, static IP at work and DHCP at home. Is there any way to switch between networks automatically? I can’t seem to get it to work.

• August 2, 2011 at 12:20 pm

First, any network which doesn’t have a static IP confgured is assumed to use DHCP.

Second, it’s possible to switch, as long as you initiate the connection within my program – but not for automatic background connections initiated by the system. Android isn’t so nice to as ask my application for IP settings every time it decides to connect in the background (I’d like to find a way to fix it some day).

Third, the one-tap WiFi Network Switch widget always resets the IP settings (as configured by the user), even if the particular network is already connected.

In short, right now, it’s a bit of a compromise, and requires a manual step, but it’s just one tap, and a lot easier than entering the IP values in Android’s settings screen every time. And like I said, I agree it would be nice to fix it, and switch addresses even for background automatic connections.

• Matthias
        August 3, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Alright. Thanks for the info.

One other thing… a backup/import settings (including network settings) function would be nice.

Other than that… thanks for the great app.

• August 3, 2011 at 3:01 pm

There is no way to get WiFi access point passwords from Android, once they’ve been set. It’s a one way street (which is good, becuase it’s a security feature). Without the passwords, import/export is useless.

4. pierre
    August 1, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Hi again, issue solved : simply delete the widget and re-create it, and that’s it. Thanks Kostya, nice application 🙂

5. pierre
    August 1, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Hi, it seems there is a bug in this new release 2.0.4; on my Xperia X10 Android 2.1, now the widget is showing the ‘green bar’ when there is no WiFi connection and no ‘green bar’ when the WiFi is connected.